Lunges Exercise for Toning the Glutes
Almost everybody these days wants to discover which exercises are best for Bulgarian Split Squats, the lunges exercise comes in a pretty close second. The fact that it is so versatile allows for for the lunges exercise to be performed almost anywhere., and I would have to say that after the
Besides the forward standing lunge, you can do reverse lunges and walking lunges. Exercise for toning the glutes needs to be fun and varied to keep you motivated, and because this particular exercise can even be done when you are out for a country walk, I’m sure you’ll stick with it.
How to Perform the Lunge Correctly:
- Start by standing up straight, holding a weight in each hand.
- Extend one leg forward, and with your back and head straight, lower your body by bending both of your knees.
- Ensure that your forward lower leg remains vertical as you lower yourself, checking that your knee does not extend further past the ends of your toes.
- Make sure that the back leg/knee does not touch the ground.
- Proceed back up to start position, by pushing off with the heel of the forward leg.
- Work up to 3 sets of between 12 – 15 repetitions and try to do this between two and three times each week.
Walking Lunges Exercise
Watch this short video to perfect your technique with the walking lunge:
Reverse Lunges Exercise
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder width apart, take a dumbbell in each hand with your arms at your sides.
- Keep your back upright and straight throughout this exercise .
- Start by reaching one of your feet backwards behind you, as if you were taking the first step to walk backwards. Aim to lower your knee as low to the ground as possible, without quite touching it. Your heel should be off the ground at this point.
- Still keep your back straight, and make sure that the knee of your forward leg, doesn’t extend past your toes of the same leg.
- Aim to get a good stretch by really reaching back with your stride.
- Return to the start position by pushing off from the ground, and repeat with your other leg.
- Ensure your glutes and are tight throughout this whole exercise.
- Again, try to do between 12 – 15 repetitions on each leg of up to 3 sets, between two and three times each week.
If you use dumbbells or a barbell for added resistance for the lunges exercise, then you will increase the size of your glutes without a doubt. Make toning the glutes part of your regular butt workout.