5 Shoulder Exercises Women Should Do
5 Shoulder Exercises Women Can Do To Get Toned and Sexy Shoulders
To get sexy and toned shoulders for the summer, there are many shoulder exercises women can do in order to see quick improvements, but I will show you five easy ones here.
In addition to these shoulder exercises designed to improve your shoulders, you can improve the visual shape and definition of your shoulder muscles by getting lean! You will discover that when you , you will lose fat at the same time. What a huge bonus that is!
Back to your shoulders – shoulders are one of the areas of your body that are a real give away as to whether you work out and are fit or not. Poor muscle tone in a woman’s shoulders can lead to poor posture and can cause back problems as well.
My shoulders are my absolute all-time favourite body part, on me and on ripped men as well! You can tone and love yours too! When you have great shoulders, you look really amazing in any top or dress, you feel sexier and more confident. Odds on, if you work your shoulders and make them look good, you’re going to have great arms and back to go with them!
It is important to strengthen all areas of the body but the shoulders are a part of the body that are being used constantly. Anything you do, from carrying the shopping, washing the floors, even brushing and drying your hair involves the use of your shoulders and upper arms. Obviously your shoulders get used to performing these movements, and doing these tasks every day doesn’t tone them nor increase their muscle size.
Tone your shoulders with the right exercises, targeting exactly the right area, and your upper body physique will start to look really impressive very quickly.
Shoulder exercises women can do, will tone their shoulders without making them huge, but a little muscle shape and definition can make all the difference when wearing those strappy summer tops.
Shoulder Exercises Women Can Do to Tone Up for Summer:
For those of you who are new to exercise, you should try to do 2 – 3 sets of 10 – 12 repetitions, and not quite reach failure. Each movement should be slow and controlled, taking about 3 seconds to contract and 3 to return to start position, including a 2 second pause at the fully contracted stage in the exercise. In total one repetition, should take no more than 8 seconds.
For intermediate and advanced lifters, perform 1 – 2 sets of 12 – 15 repetitions, to failure. This level of failure is what promotes the recovery period to tone and build your shoulder muscles.
1. Push Ups
This is one of the best shoulder exercises women can do and they are great for your back too. You can start by balancing on your knees and progress to performing them by balancing on your toes as your strength builds. As you perform this exercise, ensure that you keep your butt and abs tight throughout.
2. Pull Ups
Although pull ups primarily target the back, they also incorporate both shoulder and arm muscles. They are one of my favorite shoulder exercises. Women are not often seen doing this exercise in the gym, but it is possible to start by using an assisted pull-up machine. You will be able to move on to pulling your own body weight up as you progress and gain strength.
3. Lateral Raises
- Take a dumbbell in each hand.
- Start by standing with legs shoulder width apart and your arms relaxed down by your sides.
- Raise your arms straight out to the sides and return slowly back down by your sides.
- Lateral raises can also be performed seated on a bench or even on an exercise ball.
4. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Take hold of a couple of dumbbells, one in each hand.
- Position the back of the bench to the upright position.
- Take your arms out to the sides, elbows positioned just below shoulder height, with the dumbbells and hands positioned to each side of the shoulders (as photo right). Your elbows should be directly below your wrists.
- Press the dumbbells upwards until your arms are extended overhead.
- Then lower to the sides of your shoulders.
- As you raise your arms overhead, engage your ab muscles and keep your back straight.
You should attempt to do between 12-15 repetitions, in 3 sets.
This exercise can also be performed on a shoulder press machine, seated on an exercise ball or even standing if you prefer.
5. Dumbbell Front Raise / Dumbbell Alternating Front Raise
- Take a dumbbell in each hand.
- Start by standing up straight, and feet approx shoulder width apart, with your arms down by your sides.
- Raise your arms directly out in front of you, keeping them straight and raising them no higher than your shoulders.
- Return and repeat.
This can be done alternately as opposed to both arms at the same time, for variety.
If you are using heavy weights and really pushing yourself and your muscles, you will need to take a break of about 5 days from any more shoulder exercises. Women should allow the muscle fibres to recover properly, and also make sure they get enough protein, complex carbs and healthy fats in their diet for the repair process to work properly.
Follow these shoulder exercises regularly for superbly toned and attractive shoulder muscles.
|Print article||This entry was posted by admin on June 7, 2010 at 6:28 pm, and is filed under Arms, Workouts. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.|
Comments are closed.